How many times have you used your slow cooker to make anything other than stew, chili, or soup? If you are anything like me, the answer to this question is “not very!” But, and contrary to what a lot of people think, you can make lots of different things using a slow cooker.
I know from my own experience you can make oatmeal in a slow cooker, cook a whole chicken, and even make cakes and puddings. If you are prepared to experiment, slow cookers are actually very versatile.
One of the most unusual recipes I have found for the slow cooker is for pizza. Yes – that thing we normally bake in the oven can also be made in the slow cooker. I’ll admit, I was a little skeptical at first but, I can honestly say, once I tried this recipe, I was hooked. My friends loved it too.
Now, whenever I make pizza for dinner, this is the recipe and the method I use. Like me, you’ll have to try it for yourself, but I know you’ll love it once you do.
This recipe from Delish.com is easy to modify, so feel free to add your own favorite toppings.
Preparation time – 10 minutes
Cooking time – 3-4 hours
Number of servings – 4
- Olive oil – to grease your slow cooker
- 1 lb. pizza dough
- 1 cup pizza sauce – no added sugar
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- ½ cup sliced bacon
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 pinch dried chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh, parsley
- Grease the bottom of your slow cooker with olive oil to prevent sticking
- Press your pizza dough into the bottom of your slow cooker, making sure it’s evenly spread. Leave a small gap between the edge of the dough and the sides of the cooking pot to make removing the pizza easier and prevent sticking
- Spoon the pizza sauce, and then top with the cheese, meat, and spices
- Put the lid on your slow cooker and leave on low until the edges of the crust begin to brown, usually 3-4 hours
- Garnish with parsley and serve
Picture credit – delish.com