Mayonnaise is seldom thought of as a healthy food but that’s because most store-bought mayo is nothing more than cheap junk! Filled with trans fats and other unhealthy additives, the reason most store-bought mayonnaise lasts for months at a time in your fridge is it is PACKED with artificial additives.
With an immersion blender, making your own mayonnaise is easy and a whole lot healthier than store-bought mayonnaise.
You can’t store it for very long so you’ll need to make it as needed but as that doesn’t take very long I’m sure you’ll find the little bit of time and effort it takes very worthwhile. Once you try homemade mayo, you’ll never want store-bought again!
Ingredients – Makes One Cup
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons fresh squeezed lemon juice (or vinegar)
- 1 cup of neutral flavored oil (like light olive oil, grapeseed oil, walnut or sweet almond oil)
- A pinch of good quality fine grain sea salt
- Separate the eggs. Save the egg whites for another purpose (like meringue) and place the egg yolks in a small bowl with high sides.
- Pour the fresh lemon juice into the bowl with the egg yolks and whisk them using your immersion blender. Egg yolks contain a natural emulsifier, lecithin, which helps thicken sauces and bind the ingredients.
- Slowly, a few drops at a time, pour the oil into the bowl while blending constantly. Once the mayonnaise has started to thicken, pour the oil in a slow and steady stream. If the oil starts to build up at all, stop pouring and blend the mayonnaise briskly until the oil has incorporated.
- If the mayonnaise starts looking too thick, add enough water to thin it to the consistency you like. Add about a teaspoon of water at a time.
- Once all the oil has been mixed in, the mayonnaise should be thick and fluffy. Season it carefully with fine grain sea salt. Add a small splash of water if you would like a thinner mayonnaise.
- Store your homemade mayonnaise in the fridge in a covered container for 3 days.
Nutrition per tablespoon
- 94 calories
- Fat 10 grams
- Carbohydrate 0.1 grams
- Fiber 0 grams
- Protein 0.5 grams