Who doesn’t love chocolate ? Okay, some people don’t but most of us do! This protein bar provides an awesome protein hit but is still healthy and nutritious. In fact, I’d say it’s a better bar than almost all of the ones on sale in your supermarket. Easy to make and really tasty – this bar is hard to beat but not hard to eat!
Ingredients – Makes twelve bars :
1 cup oats
½ cup chocolate protein powder (available on Amazon.com)
¼ cup cocoa powder (organic certified cocoa powder at Amazon.com)
1 cup dates, pitted and soaked for 30 minutes
½ cup + ¼ cup chopped pecans, divided
½ cup + ¼ cup shredded coconut, divided
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp salt
water as needed (up to ¼ cup)
2 tbsp cacao nibs or chocolate chips
1) In a food processor grind up the oats until they are a fine flour. Add protein and cocoa powders and blend again until well combined.
2) Drain and rinse the dates then add them to the food processor along with ½ cup of pecans, ½ cup of shredded coconut, vanilla, and salt. Blend again, adding a little water at a time, until a dough forms.
3) Transfer dough to a bowl, stir in the remaining ¼ cup of pecans and coconut along with 2 tbsp cacao nibs or chocolate chips.
4) Scrape dough onto a piece of parchment paper or silicone baking mat. Cover with another piece of parchment paper and roll the bars out to about ½ inch, shaping into a square as you roll.
5) Place the bars in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours, allowing them to firm up before cutting into 12 equal pieces. Sprinkle the remaining pecans over the top of your finished bars.
6) Store in refrigerator for 5 days or a month in the freezer.
Nutrition (per bar):
Protein 13.25 grams
Carbohydrate 28.9 grams
Fiber 6.9 grams
Fat 19 grams