My mother tells me that, when I was a kid, I had very little time for fussy food. But, if it was bland, I liked it. If my mother made anything vaguely spicy or, heaven forbid, foreign, I’d refuse to eat it.
Luckily, and many years later, I now like to eat a much wider variety of food, and have developed a real taste for things that are hot, spicy and interesting. I’ll often add spices and herbs to my food to liven it up, and seek out new and adventurous things to eat. After all, food is one of the life’s pleasures, right?!
While it’s easy enough to make main meals spicy and exciting, snacks are all too often bland. That’s why I was so excited to find this recipe for bacon-wrapped jalapeno poppers. They’re hot, tasty, and easy to make and eat.
They might not be the most common snack food, but on weekends, when you have more time on your hands, why not try something that is a little more adventurous? Once you try them, I know you’ll love them too!
Have them in midmorning to get you through to lunchtime, or midafternoon to stave off hunger until dinner. Alternatively, why not have them as an appetizer. Be warned though, one is never enough!
Preparation time – 15 minutes
Cooking time – 15 minutes
Number of servings – 6
- ½ cup cream cheese – use low fat if preferred
- ½ cup shredded hard cheese e.g. cheddar
- 12 jalapeno peppers, cut in half lengthways, with seeds removed
- 12 bacon slices
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees F, or 200 degrees C
- Line a large baking tray with aluminum foil
- In a bowl, mix the shredded cheese and cream cheese together
- Fill each jalapeno segment with the mixed cheeses
- Place two halves together and wrap them in one slice of bacon. Pin with a cocktail stick if the bacon unravels
- Place the bacon-wrapped jalapenos on your baking tray
- Bake for 15 minutes, until the bacon, begins to brown and crisp
- Eat hot straight from the oven, or allow to cool and eat later
More Snacks and Low Carb ideas
More recipes, all organized here.