As a young student, I didn’t know much about good nutrition. My mother had taught me how to make quick, easy meals to eat that wouldn’t break the bank, but most of the food I ate in those days came from takeouts, and my favorite was pizza.
Pizza is an age-old Italian dish and, despite being high in calories, can also be quite healthy, especially if you go heavy on the vegetables and lean protein toppings, and easy on the cheese. Thin and crispy bases are generally lower in calories too.
Some days, when I woke up late before class, I’d end up having leftover pizza for breakfast. Not the best start to the day I know but, for a poor student, anything was better than nothing!
This recipe, which is sort of a breakfast pizza, makes me think back to my old student days, but this version is much healthier.
If you have never had pizza for breakfast, I’ll hope you’ll try this recipe, and think of me when you eat it!
Preparation time – 10 minutes
Cooking time – 30 minutes
Number of servings – 2
- 2 readymade flatbreads
- 1 red onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 apple, peeled
- 3 ounces bacon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- Freshly ground sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F, 210 degrees C
- Using a frying pan, cook the bacon until browned and crispy. Cut into bite-sized pieces
- Fry the onion in the pan until softened
- Add one tablespoon of the balsamic vinegar. Cook until the liquid has evaporated
- Half, core, and slice the apple. Cook in a clean pan on high heat until browned and soft
- Meanwhile, place the flatbreads on a baking tray and into the oven, Toast for 5-7 minutes
- Combine the ricotta with a little olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper
- Cover the flat breads in a thin layer of the ricotta mixture
- Scatter the onion, apple, and bacon over the flatbreads, and drizzle with remaining balsamic vinegar and the honey
- Put back in the oven for 2-3 minutes and then serve
Recipe source – Hello fresh.com
More Yummy Ideas
I’ve shared so many recipes to make home cooking easy for you. Avoid process food, prepare your own food. All my recipes here.