I really enjoy pâté, dips, and mousses. To me, there is nothing nicer than taking a cracker or a piece of bread and dunking it into something yummy. I’ve made lots of different appetizers like this over the years, and some have been really involved, complicated recipes. Pâté, for example, can often take hours to make.
That’s why, when I found this recipe for mousse, I was really excited to try it. Taking only 15 minutes to make, and using readily available ingredients, I figured it was perfect for Thanksgiving, especially as it can be made in advance.
While I really do love Thanksgiving, I don’t like spending the whole day in the kitchen, so anything I can make in advance is good! That way, I’m free to be with my family and friends, and not chained to the stove!
Of course, you could buy salmon mousse, but it can be expensive, and it’s actually very easy to make your own. This recipe from Martha Stewart only takes 15 minutes to make, and contains just five ingredients. Try it – I know you’ll love it!
Preparation time – 15 minutes
Cooking time – N/A
Number of servings – 8
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1 ¼ cups sour cream
- 4 ounces smoked salmon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Fresh dill for garnish
- Gently heat 3 tablespoons of water in a small saucepan and then add the gelatin. Heat for 2-3 minutes, until the gelatin is dissolved
- In a food processor, mix the salmon, sour cream and lemon juice until smooth
- Season with a little salt
- Add the gelatin mixture and continue to blend until combined
- Pour mixture into 1-2 serving bowls, cover, and refrigerate until firm
- Serve with crackers, breadsticks, or slices of toasted bread
Recipe source and picture credit – marthastewart.com
More Ideas for Thanksgiving
Don’t need to go with processed food or prepare over complicated recipes. Make it simple, healthy and delicious. My 8 ingredient less thanksgiving recipes all here.