Easy to make, you can whip up a batch the day before Thanksgiving, so you have less to do on the big day. They are so easy to make that you can get the kids to help you. Just remember to make enough; they are going to be popular!
I was recently asked a dinner party, and the host requested I take an appetizer with me. The trouble is, while I was free for dinner, I had a very busy day planned, and knew I wouldn’t have enough time to make the requested appetizer. I was tempted to buy something, but then I remembered this Thanksgiving recipe.
I’ve seen it called a few different things including pigs in blankets and smokies. Whatever you call them, they are delicious. Great for kids and adults, they’re basically little sausages wrapped in bacon, and that’s a combination made in heaven.
The best part of this recipe is you can prepare it up to 24 hours beforehand, and then cook it when you are ready. So, I turned up at my friend’s house with my appetizer ready to go in the oven. And, as I expected, they were a big hit.
If you are looking for an easy to make appetizer you can prepare in advance, give bacon-wrapped mini sausages a try!
Preparation time – 35 minutes
Cooking time – 30 minutes
Number of servings – around 15 (3 per person)
- 16-ounce pack small, cooked, smoked sausage links
- 15 slices of bacon, cut widthways into thirds
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- Wrap each sausage with a strip of bacon, overlapping the bacon at each end
- Secure the ends with a wooden toothpick
- Continue until all the sausages are wrapped
- Put the sugar into a plastic bag and add several sausages
- Shake the bag until the sausages are coated, and then remove them
- Coat another batch of the sausages in the sugar, and continue until they are all coated
- Place the coated sausages on a baking tray, and cover with Clingfilm for up to 24 hours
- To cook, preheat your oven to 350 degrees, and bake for 30 minutes, or until the bacon is browned
Recipe source – bhg.com
More ideas for your Thanksgiving
You don’t need overcomplicated recipes to make your Thanksgiving delicious. My recipes have less than 7 ingredients and are simply easy to prepare. Have a look and pick your favorite. Recipes here.