Over the last year or so, I’ve learned and written a huge amount about nutrition, recently I’ve publish my nutrition guide called “Nutrition Facts – A Practical Guide About Nutrition”. It’s taken a lot of work I can tell you! As much as I’ve enjoyed my journey of discovery, I also understand that a lot of readers don’t have time to study everything I’ve written about nutrition and food. I get it; time is short and you want to get started right now!
To help those people out, which is my job after all, here are ten quick and simple tips that will help you improve your diet and lose weight. No technical explanations, no jargon, no science – just lots of things you can do right now to kick-start your healthy eating journey.
1. Avoid candy, soda, sweets etc. – these foods contain a lot of sugar and sugar causes cravings for more. Cut down or, better still, cut out these sugar-laden foods and you’ll feel more energetic, have fewer cravings and lose weight fast while boosting your health too. To get started on your quest to quit sugar, try the 20 No Sugar Days Challenge
2. Avoid processed snacks – snacking is fine during a diet. In fact, any diet that bans snacks is probably unsustainable. However, processed snacks are invariably high in calories, fat, salt, and sugar while being low in vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Switch your usual snacks for protein bars or, better still, make homemade protein bars which are cheaper and healthier than store bought bars.
3. Make your own meals – if you rely on other people (restaurants, take outs, grocery stores etc.) to make your meals, you’ll never know what you are really eating. It’s also easier to lose track of portion size. Instead, make your own meals to control your food intake for easier weight loss and better health. Not sure what to make? Check out my recipes!
4. Get motivated and educated – reading is a great way to learn and get excited about nutrition and weight loss but where to start? I’ve got some great motivational and educational resources for you which I have hand-picked (and even written) just for you! Check out those resources here.
5. Add superfoods to your diet – superfoods are amazing nutritional powerhouses that will boost your health. You can add them to many of your meals or use them in smoothies. They are so powerful, some of them are even used in medicine. Not sure where to start? Don’t worry – I’ve got a list of superfoods right there for you.
6. Consume probiotics – supercharge your digestive process for faster weight loss and better health with probiotics. Probiotics are healthy bacteria that modern living can often destroy. Repopulating your healthy bacteria can improve every aspect of your health. Read more about probiotics here.
7. Replace breakfast with a meal replacement shake – one of the easiest ways to lose weight is using meal replacement shakes. Lower in calories than a regular meal, these shakes are loaded with fiber and protein which keep you feeling full despite being light and easy to make. Try a readymade meal replacement powder or make your own low calorie meal replacement shakes.
8. Cut your carbs – if you are mostly inactive, and most of us are, you simply do not need a lot of carbs in your diet. Excess carbs are easily converted to fat and also interfere with fat burning. There are a lots of low carb diets around but I have created my own which I’m very happy to share with you here.
9. Plan your meals in advance – when you are hungry, it can be really hard to make good food decisions. Hunger breaks down willpower and leaves you tempted to reach for fast, unhealthy food. Needless to say, that’s a good way to derail your weight loss efforts. To avoid this problem, make sure you plan your meals, buy your groceries, and even cook your food in advance. This makes eating healthily much easier.
10. Eat more protein – protein is filling and also has a high thermic effect which means it actually increases your metabolic rate and burns calories! You can find protein in fish, chicken, eggs, etc. but it’s not always convenient to eat those sorts of foods. Many people find protein powder an easier way to eat more protein; just one scoop can provide as much protein as four eggs. Learn how to choose the best protein powder here.
I hope you find these tips useful; I know they have really helped me. Don’t try and put them all into action at once but, instead, pick just a few initially and then add more as time passes by. If you have any good tips, please feel free to share them in the comments section below; I LOVE hearing from readers of Days To Fitness and it’s always nice to help other people on their healthy eating and weight loss journey.